Friday 27 March 2009

A picture speaks a thousand words.

In a previous blog I commented on a particular article and praised the Daily Mirror for excellent coverage of a story and their selection of a picture to convey the emotion of tragedy, however one of the pictures they used in their tribute to Jade Goody; which was published on monday the 23rd of March, was herrendous. The picture in question showed Jade Goody being carried away in a body bag. I can appreciate that the picture must have been very difficult to get and is possibly a very exclusive picture, but I just can't help but feel how inappropriate it was to show that picture, as it is too morbidly shocking and may be very hurtful to some of the readers having to look upon it. I may be over reacting, so please let me know what you think. Do you feel it was appropriate to use that picture?

I will end on a positive, despite the Daily Mirror's use of this picture I felt overall the tribute they put together was very touching, the wide range of information did justice to the legacy Jade is leaving behind and it gave her memory the full credit it deserved. But most of all the faces of her family and friends shows how much she will be missed.
I was discussing with someone in our lecture the great legacy Jade will leave behind through her very public battle with cervical cancer; however they disagreed by saying it showed a lack of dignity by selling her struggle to the press. Which I feel is a valid point. Please let me know what you think, did Jade do the right thing making her terminal illness so public?

Next week I will blog about the council meeting I will be attending on the 3oth of March.

No comments: