Tuesday 19 May 2009

Is it all about money, money, money?

For many years now, I have being saying that when I can vote I do not intend to as politics is completely corrupt; and that the politicians are not really interested in the country's welfare, but merely the welfare of their wallets. Due to the Telegraph's coverage of Mp's spending of the tax payers money I have been proved correct. Now before I begin my criticism I would like to offer praise for the Telegraph, as it was them that started and lead the way for these series of exposes on government spending. It is disgraceful the amount of money spent on idiotic and non essential things, the worst without a doubt being Douglas Hogg's use of government money for work to be conducted on his moat. Is this useful spending of tax payers money? I think not! I also find it ridiculous that these crooked politicians have not been severely disciplined. The question I am asking and one which I believe everyone is questioning is why have they not lost their jobs? I think it is clear that the government need to do something along these lines to regain the public's confidence.

One more question that has also bothered me is, if it hadn't been for Jackie Smith being exposed for wrongly spending tax payers money on adult films, would there have been an investigation into other spending? Is the Jackie Smith scandal to blame?

I was just debating this very subject in an essay a couple of weeks ago, when contemplating, why should we obey the state? I came to the conclusion that we should, however one of the many arguments that divided me slightly was the fact that because the government abuses its power; does it deserve the power and cooperation it has? How can you trust and obey an institution when it does not lead the example?

No comments: